Thursday, August 26, 2010

What I did to prepare for Meta and a little more

Some people have been asking me what I did to prepare for surgery. I have scattered throughout my blog the different things I did to prepare but I think it would make sense to mention it in a post specifically.

I will also go back and try and tag the posts that I did previously.

To prepare for surgery I started taking cranberry extract pills to promote urinary tract health. I also started taking vitamin C to boost my immune system. I began trying to drink more fluids but wasn't as successful pre-op as I could have been.

I also had been saying for weeks that I wanted to get back in the gym and workout. About a month before surgery I finally got off my butt and got my membership. I worked out 4-5 days a week. Focusing on my core and cardio. This resulted in me losing about 6 or so pounds and building muscle which was great for such a short amount of time.
I also worked on doing a lot of stretching so that I wouldn't stiffen up so easily post op.
I also made sure to increase my fruit and veggie intake

In terms of medically I made sure to see my Primary care Physician and get a physical done about 6 or 7 weeks prior to surgery to make sure that if there was any issues they could be addressed in time for surgery. I had an EKG done which came back fine. I had other surgeries in the past so it was actually quite easy for me to deal with anesthesia. I guess I should also add that I am allergic to eggs and the one they most commonly give people has an egg based ingredient so I can't use that one. It seems lucky for me because I never feel nausea after anesthesia. I just feel like my eyes are heavy for a few hours. I am always completely alert but just can't keep both eyes open at the same time. I can only open my eyes one at a time because they feel like they weigh a ton. Outside of that I bounce back from anesthesia quite fast!
I also donate blood a month before surgery. The reason for this was 2 fold 1) I build up red blood cells more now since being on T and donating blood regularly keeps my RBC count in the perfect zone for me.
2) I get time off work for being a regular donor.
The time off came in handy to see my doctor to get my medical clearance for surgery.

I guess that is all

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing. this is great info. was the EKG required for surgery or did you want to take it for yourself to see what the results were before having the surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an EKG due to my personal medical history of Cardiac issues. If it wasn't for that only patients over the age of 45 I believe are mandated to have them. If someone is over 45 and doesn't have a cardiologist you can pay a small fee to have it done at the hospital the day before surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i see. good to know. thanks for this information also.

    ReplyDelete