Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 1- Post Op Meta

Today was my first day post-op for meta. So far so good. It had it's ups and downs.

8AM on the dot I was brought breakfast but I looked at it funny because I didn't recall giving a breakfast order. (You have a menu for each meal and you can select what you want to eat from that list for each meal). The woman was nice enough to ask me what I wanted and 15 minutes later I got it. Breakfast was simple but good.

The morning nurse came by and asked if I needed my pain medicine but my stupid ass told her I was good for now.
I started to get a throbbing feeling, then a dull ache which started to get worse. I called for pain meds but by the time it came I was uncomfortable. I was supposed to start pain meds by mouth today. So she gave me a percocet which took a bit to kick in. She came back later to see how I was doing and the percocet had kicked in. She said since I was going to be "unpacked" and get a dressing change she would talk to the Doc and see if she could give me some morphine via IV so that it will work faster.

10:45AM- Nurse came to "unpack" me. I was confused as to what unpacking entailed to be exact up until this point. She had me get into a more "comfortable" position. Laying down with my knees bent up. She pulled down my disposable hospital manties. Then she had me spread my legs some more which was sore from the swelling and stitches. She then moved the pad that was there to catch the fluid. She got tweezers and told me she was going to "unpack" me and warned me it would hurt. I told her I was ready. It hurt like hell. She started pulling a long string of like guaze from my crotch that was covered in dried blood. It hurt like hell and every time she saw me tensed she would slow down and have me breath then she would continue. To be honest when she was done it was bitter sweet. I was happy she was done but then I had a small ache. She said that the packing was for where they closed up the vaginal opening. I asked her if it was a big hole. She said honestly with the packing moved you can't really see it because the hole is next to nothing. That gave me some piece She got a syringe with sterile liqiud and flushed my Foley catheter which was sticking out of my penis with a cap in it. It wasn't connected to anything only the suprapubic catheter was connected to the bag. I tried to take a picture of my junk but everything was swollen and my penis was wrapped and positioned downward to keep it from retracting. I was happy to because it looked "fat" from what I could see. I wasn't sure if it was the gauze or if I got good girth post op. Either way it felt real.

Right after she was done my wife and daughter came to visit. My wife brought my laptop so that when she left I could blog and check emails a lot easier.

The nurse helped me into a chair so that my bed could get changed and so I could change position. I was given a pillow to sit on and that helped but not a lot. I decided I would rather stand. I check on the woman I knew also here for surgery. She was next door so I stepped out of the room to go say hello to her and her partner. She was laying down. She is not allowed up for 48 hours after surgery and she said that she has ice on her new vagina. I joked about how I wish I had ice for my penis. She also said how she wasn't allowed to eat anything until this morning. I felt a little fatigued so I decided to go back to my room. Instead of getting back into the chair I decided to get back into bed.

11:45Am- Dr. Bowers came to see me. She said that surgery went well and when it was all done I had a lot more girth than she expected me to get so she knows I will be happy about that. She said I was also able to get good length too but the girth is what really took her by surprise with me. I was happy about that. She checked my catheter and saw that I was draining some blood still in addition to my urine. She said that was normal but to be on the safe side she was going to have them double my IV fluids so that I stayed hydrated. She also wanted me to remain in bed for the rest of the day and I could walk around the next day. That was fine by me because the bed was most comfortable for me.

My wife, daugther and I spent to the day laughing and watching TV. We all took naps.

6:30pm- Robin came to get my wife and daughter and drive them back to the hotel.

My mom called me shortly after that to check on me.

8:30pm- The nurse came to check my wounds. She had me pull down the manties. She removed the pad that was placed to catch the excess fluid/blood from the draining. It was practically dry with a few drops of blood which was a good sign. She flushed my Foley and there was no pain or leakage which is good because that means so far no stricture or sign of fistula which I am happy about. She made sure that I got a fresh pad. She didn't unwrap my penis though I was hoping she would so that I could get a good look.
She reminded me to stay ahead of the pain and said that she would be bringing me pain meds at around 10:30pm along with some crackers so I wouldn't get nausea.

She made sure I was in good position and comfortable. I passed a little gas and felt embarassed but she told me that was good. She said they clap for gas and do cartwheels for bowel movements. I haven't had any bowel movements yet but I feel tomorrow there might be one good one coming. So far so good. As long as I stay ahead of the pain I am in good position.

5 comments:

  1. hey, i have been reading your posts but havnn't commennted before.. congrats on your surgery. good to hear that you are doing well. the detailed posts are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I will do my best to continue being very detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Cris! I'm really happy for you, man. :)

    ReplyDelete