Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 7- Post-op Meta- August 24th, 2010

It has officially been one week since I have my metoidioplasty with Dr. Marci Bowers in Trinidad, CO.
This morning when I woke up I went to urinate and I felt inspire to try peeing directly facing the toilet instead of "hovering".
I started out pretty slow and my bladder was so full I just had to stop. I tried again the next time I had to pee and I started off ok. What I did notice was that due to my penis being swollen along the shaft (especially the left side) my penis leans to the right so my stream was going more to the left. As I started to urinate it went into the toilet but as the stream got stronger it started going left which was a little messy. My penis is still too tender for me to completely hold it so I just leaned my pelvis forward as far as was comfortable since I still had the suprapubic Catheter.

Once the office was open I called Robin at Dr. Bowers' office to let her know that I was urinating without issue for the past 24 hours. She told me what time Dr. Bowers wanted me to come in.

Janet came to get me so that I could go see Dr. Bowers about getting the suprapubic catheter out.

Dr. Bowers came in to see me and I told her how it has been urinating. She once again assured me that as the swelling goes down the more forward my penis will be and the easier it will be for me to pee standing holding my penis.

Dr. Bowers cut the stitches that were holding the suprapubic catherter in place. When she took it out the part that was in my abdomen had a thick, dark, nasty clot of blood in there which definitely explains why it wasn't working. When she took out the suprapubic catheter it was so easy and didn't hurt! She cleaned me up from the crusted blood and goo. She gave me a hug and told me that she would see me at SCC in a few weeks. She also told me if I had any problems to be sure to call right away!

When I started walking out of the room I felt like a new man I didn't realize how much of my discomfort from walking had to do with that catheter.

As I was leaving the office I said bye to Janet because it was the last time I was going to see her before I flew back home.
Robin was taking me back to my room and she noticed how much easier it was for me to get in and out of the Car. She reminded me not to overdo it and to take it easy.

For a week post op I feel GREAT. If I really needed to I feel like I could return to work next mondy. I don't plan on doing that though because my body needs more time to fully heal. I won't lie... getting in and out of bed still triggers soreness along my incisions from my vaginectomy. Also sitting is not so comfortable. For short periods of time I don't need a cushion but for long periods of time I am too sore and tender.
Peeing induces some soreness if I wait too long.
Walking is getting easier but if I walk too fast the rubbing irritates my penis so I have to modify how I walk a little to walk comfortably.

I noticed this evening that some of the swelling around my penis is going down so it as extended some which makes me happy. It definitely verified for me what Dr. Bowers told me about how the initial swelling can cause some temporary retraction of the penis. I look forward to my penis extending further as the swelling subsides.

I can't believe how happy I am with everything. I knew I would be happier post op but I didn't know I would be this happy.

I fly home tomorrow. I am not looking forward to the long periods of sitting involved in my trip home but I am sure I will be fine. I have an inflatable cushion and a foam cushion so we shall see what happens.

That's all for now.

8 comments:

  1. sounds like you are healing up great. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the results. Appreciate you sharing your experiences. Good lookin man. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that! Thanks very much for sharing all the details! I'm surprised no one including the doctor has not mentioned drinking cranberry juice though. It's the best natural solution to warding off urinary infections and will make you pee like a race horse! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy everythang worked out I wanna see how it looks lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dontiger- Actually I have been taking cranberry extract since before surgery and I have been drinking cranberry juice everyday after surgery as well as taking the cranberry extract at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you still got an infection? Hmmm...that was going to be my plan for warding off the infection when I go to surgery. So that must mean your immune system is low or they're giving you too many antibiotics? It's such a balancing act...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Dontiger- To be honest I didn't turn out have an infection it was an inflammed bladder due to the catheter which shows similar symptoms to an infection. The same medication is used for both the inflamed bladder and bladder infection. My immune system is actually great and I was taking vitamin C leading up to surgery and once I was discharged continued it.
    Different antibiotics are used for different things. Some are preventative and to behonest guys who go to other surgeons are either on stronger antibiotics and/or more of them. I think what people have to remember is you are working with sensitive parts of the body and one antibiotic does not fit all things.

    ReplyDelete