Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 2- Post- op Meta- August 19th, 2010

This day has been full so far and it isn't over yet.

Early in the morning hours the night nurse was happy to see that I was draining better and mostly clear fluid. I was on best rest since just before noon so the laying down flat for over 12 hours did just the trick. It wasn't perfect but improving slowly but surely.

Around 7 AM the morning nurse came in to help me freshen up since I hadn't washed my face or brushed my teeth since 2 days prior (surgery day). She brought me a warm wash cloth that was wet and I washed my face. It felt amazing. I didn't think it would feel that good. It was just what my face needed. She passed me my bag of personal items I brought to the hospital and I was able to get my toothbrush and brush my teeth. That felt amazing as well.

At 8AM on the dot breakfast came. It was exactly what I ordered and it hit the spot.

I spoke to my wife and she was getting ready to head over to the hospital so see me.
My mom also called to check in on me which was nice. I answered a few texts and emails.

The woman of trans experience who had surgery the same day as me was walking around and stopped by to say high. We joked about how the day before she was on bed rest and I was free to roam and now I am on bed rest. Even though she looked great, felt great and was walking around for vaginoplasty she has to stay in the hospital at least 4 nights. She then planned to stay 2 nights at the morning after house for extra TLC. I explained to her how if everything is well I will be able to leave the hospital today and return to the hotel.

She went back to walking around. I watched TV and relaxed.

Around 10AM my wife arrived with Janet. Janet handed me an envelope and told me to open it. When I opened the envelope it was 3 identical notarized letters stating that I completed Sex Reassignment surgery with Dr. Bowers on August 17th, 2010. It had my social, DOB and name on it. Janet told me to make sure all the info was right and it was. My wife took pictures of me reading the letters.

Janet said her favorite part is seeing patients light up when they get that letter.

Even though I have changed pretty much all of my documents it was still nice to have that letter in my hand. I guess it was just the "official" seal on things.

Janet left us to go about her day.

My wife and daughter were making me laugh when Dr. Bowers came in just before 11AM.
She looked at my Catheter bag and saw the color was not exactly what she wanted my urine to be but close enough. She checked my abdomen to make sure it was looking okay. Also my labs looked good so there was no reason she said that I couldn't be discharged today. Dr. Bowers told me that I am to flush the foley once a day with 5 ccs of sterile saline. The nurse showed me the day before how to do it so I didn't have questions but my wife did so Dr. Bowers said she would have the flush it before I left today that way my wife could see. I was told though walking around was good to also be sure to get lots of rest between today and Monday, August 23rd, 2010. I am to check in with Robin tomorrrow, Friday, August 20th, 2010 at which point Robin will give me my appointment time for Monday, August 23rd, 2010.
Dr. Bowers stated that on Monday they would unwrap my penis so I would be able to get my first official look at it unwrapped and I will also make my first attempt at peeing through my new urethra. I was happy and shocked to hear that because it seems soon yet I really want to play with my new toy 8D

Dr. Bowers left saying that she would see me monday and if I needed anything between now and then my discharge orders would state how best to reach her.

The nurse came in shortly after to take out my IV. It was a few minutes before lunch time so the nurse told me after lunch she would help me get cleaned up and ready for discharge.

I ate lunch which was what I ordered exactly and delicious.

I felt like I wanted to make a bowel movement but it was just gas. The nurse said that it is okay that I have a window period to still make my bowel movement and that they weren't concerned.

She took me to the shower room (there are no showers in patient rooms just a toilet room and then a sink).

The nurse set everything up. She asked me if I wanted to wear one of my own pairs of underwear (I had a pair of boxers, briefs and boxer briefs in my bag of personal items because I didn't know which would be most comfortable when I was ready to leave.) I told her I would rather wear the "manties" she laughed and got me a clean pair of manties and a pad. She also got me a fresh gown, socks and some towels. She offered to help wash me but I declined. She asked if I wanted my wife to help me but I declined. I wanted to wash myself. She set up the string so that if I needed assistance I could pull it.
I took my shower making sure to not scrub or rub my suprapubic Catheter or foley. There was some crusted blood that washed away and that felt great!

I dried off put on a fresh pair of manties and a pad. I went back to my room and put on my shirt but left off my pants until the nurse could change the dressing around my suprapubic catheter. She did that since it was wet and flushed my foley so my wife could see. The foley was a little loose but still in so it was fine.

The nurse helped me into my clothes and everything. The whole process took almost 2 hours since I had to go slowly.

Robin was going to meet us at the Front to take us to the Hotel. The nurse gave me a pain pill for the road! I had my foam cushion and that helped me feel a little more comfortable while sitting. As the nurse wheeled me to the front everyone I saw along the way who I encountered between monday and now wished me luck and told me to take care. They were all really pleasant which made me feel good. Robin came to get us.

I had to fill my prescription for pain pills and antibiotics so on the way to the hotel Robin Dropped my wife off at safeway (they take my insurance so the meds would be free.)

Robin said since it would take a bit for the meds to be ready she will drop me at the hotel so I won't have to sit in the car since sitting isn't so fun.

At the hotel I took off my pants and was walking around in the manties and a T-shirt.

My wife and Robin came back around half hour later. Robin left and my wife was kind enough to get me some Milk of magnesia "cramp free" formula which is my best friend anytime I have to take pain meds after surgery. (It keeps me regular.)

I got my pillows set up and found my sweet spot. My wife made sure I had a gatorade to rehydrate me as well as ice water. I took my pain meds and my antibiotics. I am to take one pain pill every 3-4 hours as needed and one antibiotic pill 3 times a day (every 8 hours).

I took a brief nap and was feeling like I had to have a BM. When I went to the bathroom I realized the foley was not in my penis. I called Robin who got word to Dr. Bowers. I was asked some questions and based on my answers it seems my penis was ready to be free. I am to just insert the foley every morning between now and monday to flush my urethra. If tomorrow it gives me a problem I am to let them know ASAP so that they can formally insert it again to prevent closure if needed.

I think it will be fine.

My wife has been forcing me to each ice chips and drink lots of water so that I can stay hydrated and heal well.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment